For more than a decade, we have represented clients in almost every important electricity and natural gas proceeding in Ontario. We are among the leaders in Ontario energy regulation and policy.
Shepherd Rubenstein located – not by accident – across the street from the Ontario Energy Board. Lawyers from the firm consider it part of their responsibility to maintain an ongoing and nuanced understanding of the state of energy regulation in Ontario. This includes not just the published decisions in rate and other applications, and not just the formal policies established by the regulator. It also includes understanding the unwritten rules and expectations, and the direction energy regulation is moving at any given point in time. Our clients require that we have our finger on the pulse at all times.
Our services include:
- Ontario Energy Board representation for ratepayer organizations, landowners, indigenous communities, environmental groups, and for renewable and distributed energy companies.
- Regulatory advice relating to the energy sector and energy policy issues.
- National Energy Board representation for landowners, aboriginal communities, ratepayer organizations, environmental groups for facilities or tariff applications (oil and natural gas).
- Regulatory and commercial advice for distributed energy resource projects and companies.
- Renewable energy project advice, contracting, approvals, reviews, and appeals.
- Advice and assistance on local consultations, including consultations with indigenous communities.
- Ensuring compliance with energy regulations and policies.
- Assistance and advice in negotiating commercial supply and project agreements with local distribution companies (gas and electricity).
- Mediation, arbitration, and litigation representation in energy contract disputes.